Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems. Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
The global Human Resource (HR) Function provides an integrated talent management system that delivers a workforce that is Corning's competitive differentiator in the global marketplace.
HR provides service offerings that align solutions to business challenges by ensuring the programs are Effective, Efficient, Global, Scalable, and Repeatable. Corning’s Values are operationalized by the HR Function through the facilitation of Talent Management offerings, as well as programs and processes that aid in making Corning’s Values visible.
Scope of Position:
This position is responsible for human resources support for 25 salaried and 150 hourly employees at the TRM facility in Fremont, CA. In addition, this position will provide HR support, in collaboration with the HR Manager, Global Research & European Labs, for the West Coast Technology Center in Palo Alto. Proactively deals with HR and operational issues to assure having the right people and HR processes in the right place at the right time to meet the business and functional requirements. Ensures facility realizes required levels of employee productivity and performance excellence required to execute strategy and achieve desired business results; Ensures facility establishes and maintains a positive work environment and operates as “One Corning” in support of Corning’s Values; Achieves or beats budgetary objectives in support of top quartile cost performance objectives while maintaining appropriate levels of HR service delivery; Ensures the successful implementation of Corning HR business processes within the Fremont TRM facility; Ensures compliance with HR-related legal and regulatory guidelines.
The position reports to the Global Enterprise Networks HR Manager.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Corning Integration/Data Maintenance:
- Administers change management strategies in support of successful integration with Corning
- Implements HR programs / processes / policies in compliance with current legal and regulatory policies
- Recommends areas for standardization of HR programs / processes / policies, as appropriate
- Educates colleagues and customer groups on proper use of HR systems for which he/she is responsible
- Monitors and maintains integrity of data contained in HR systems for which he/she is responsible
- Manages employee relations with the P&M workforce assisting employees and supervisors resolve issues at the earliest possible moment.
- Proposes, develops and interprets policy for employees and managers. Works to maintain policy fairness at all levels while taking into consideration the business, individual interests and needs.
- Keep HR Manager, Operations Manager and TRM staff informed on high level issues.
- Monitors and administers attendance policy including leading policy team and developing changes to meet current business needs.
- Leads investigations, including developing solutions and implementing necessary disciplinary actions.
- Manages P&M disciplinary process including recommending and issuing disciplinary actions.
- Assists employees with confidential needs i.e. EAP, supervisor issues, harassment investigations, etc.
- Takes ownership of specific HR initiatives that support the effectiveness of the operation by developing and delivering HR programs i.e. FMLA, attendance program, recognition program, Goal Sharing leadership, etc.
- Reviews and recommends policy changes.
- Leads development and implementation of new plant policies, procedures, and people processes
- Defines and reinforces facility and safety rules.
- Reinforces utilization of people systems with TRM leadership i.e attendance policy, progressive discipline, performance to standard etc.
Leads staffing strategies to deliver people
- Collaborates with HR Manager and TRM business staff to prioritize current and future talent requirements of the plant which could adversely affect achievement of annual business objectives
- Takes actions required addressing key talent gaps, ensuring plant has the right people in the right place at the right time.
- Manages recruiting process. Job fairs, interview process and hiring decisions, etc.
- Manages P&M and A&T offer process including, developing the offer, extending offers and managing the candidate through hire.
- Develops and delivers new employee orientation and supervisor orientation to all TRM new hires and transfers.
- Participates in exempt hiring including interview process and input to the hiring decision.
- Conduct new hire orientation and temporary employee conversion process
Manages Compensation Processes:
- Manages bi-weekly payroll process for entire facility
- Manages P&M wage ranges including adjustments, promotions and annual merit process.
- Reviews all employees merit recommendations with supervisors to determine merit increase and manage within the given budget.
- Manages P&M job evaluation process including writing job descriptions, evaluating and implementation into range structure.
- Manages annual benefits enrollment process
Manages Legal Requirements:
- Prepares and manages AAP plan and required actions
- Manages external EEOC charges, workers compensation issues and other like processes
- Manages harassment investigations/external third party reporting information, interviewing appropriate individuals, recommending solutions, documenting findings and gaining agreement with Corporate Legal
- Manages CA E-Verify process and documentation
Safety and Health: Manages workers compensation program, return to work assignments
- BS degree in Human Resources or Business concentration or
- MS/BS degree in Industrial Labor Relations
Required Years and Area of Experience: 5 years of experience within a HR dept.
- Ability to quickly learn CA State Laws and Regulations
- Customer service skills – responsive, sees issues through to completion and customer’s satisfaction
- Intermediate knowledge of HRIS systems including but not limited to Recruiting Solutions and HR PeopleSoft
- Problem solving skills
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Communicates with honesty and clarity and directness
- Strong analytical skills and advanced knowledge of Excel (e.g. the ability to query, run reports, sort data and analyze results)
- Broad knowledge of HR policies, processes and procedures
- Data Steward role for hourly employees
- Successful track record in the administration of HR or Business processes or programs
- Successful track record in partnering with external providers / vendors (coordination, billing)
- Successful track record in fast-paced work environment (taking initiative, working independently & handling multiple priorities)
(Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}