THIS POSITION WILL BE FILLED EITHER AT THE BAND C OR BAND D LEVEL DEPENDING ON THE EXPERIENCE OF THE CANDIDATE SELECTED.
- The person will be involved in all aspects of the virology activities within the Infection iMED, focusing on discovery of novel antivirals. This role encompasses:
- Executing virology assays to determine the antiviral properties of novel compounds.
- Designing and implementing experiments to determine compound mechanism of action.
- Carrying out research to build knowledge required to deliver antiviral therapy.
- Work collaboratively across AstraZeneca R&D sites.
- Interacting with external research organizations when appropriate.
- This individual will be part of project/discovery teams and participate in team decisions. The successful applicant will be expected to spend the majority of their time in the laboratory.
- Design and execute virology assays and experiments.
- Manage and analyze large data sets from external research collaborators.
- Contribute to project team discussions and decisions.
- Be a role model in behaviors and AZ code of conduct.
- Act in accordance with all AZ policies on personnel, safety, health, environment, etc.
Masters degree in virology or relevant discipline plus a minimum of 2 years (or Bachelors degree plus 5 years) research experience.
Skills and Competencies:
- Expert in virology, preferably in discovery of novel antivirals.
- Aptitude for technological innovation.
- Able to propose and implement scientific ideas.
- Demonstrated laboratory experimentation skills.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. Able to work with people from other disciplines and backgrounds
- Understanding of the drug discovery process
- Experience in clinical virology
- Experience in susceptibility testing of antivirals.
- Experience in respiratory viruses preferred
- Evidence of creative research by way of original publication.
- Experience in industrial setting.
- Strong work ethic with desire to carry out
Deadline: 28 October 2013