Research Assistant (2 posts)
Reporting to: Prof Paul Fearon, Consultant Psychiatrist
Place of Work: Department of Psychiatry, St. Patrick’s University Hospital, James’s Street, Dublin 8,
Incorporating St Edmundsbury Hospital, Lucan, the Dean Clinics and other services operated by St. Patrick’s University Hospital
Main Purpose of Job: To work on a HRB/MRCG and St. Patricks Foundation-funded study examining Quality of Care in an Irish Mental Health Service Context. To develop, by reviewing the literature and field-testing, a user-friendly Quality of Care instrument. To recruit a cohort of individuals from the service with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and administer this and other relevant instruments.
Hours of Work: 35 hours weekly
The duties of the Research Assistants are outlined below. In carrying out all duties, the Research Assistant should ensure that all Hospital policies, Health & Safety procedures and legislative requirements are met at all times.
- Perform a literature review to identify variables associated with quality of care
- Recruit for, organise and participate in a series of focus groups, in collaboration with a service-user researcher.
- Record, transcribe and analyse data from above focus groups.
- Develop and field-test a preliminary version of the Quality of Care Instrument
- Develop final version of above instrument
- Recruit and assess participants from the service to take part in phase 2 of the study, by assessing Quality of care ratings and administer instruments measuring clinical, social and demographic domains.
- Attend weekly team meetings and research meetings when required
- Prepare presentations and papers to disseminate research findings
- Carry out any other duties appropriate to the position as may be required from time to time
This Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties. The person appointed may be required to perform other duties as appropriate which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the position
Closing Date: 5 p.m on Friday 27th May 2011