Scientific/Managerial & International Recruitment
Principal Scientist-Applied Cereals Genomics
ICRISAT is seeking applications from a dynamic and highly innovative scientist to undertake applied cereals genomics research in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team of scientists. The Principal Scientist (Internationally Recruited Staff) will be based at ICRISAT Headquarters near Greater Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India, working within the Research Program on Dryland Cereals.
The Job: To lead the application of genomics in ICRISAT’s dryland cereal crops, especially pearl millet and sorghum. The person will be expected to conduct research in an appropriate area of applied genomics and to work in close collaboration with other ICRISAT cereal scientists as well as biometrics and bioinformatics teams to effectively integrate the use of genomics technology in cultivar development efforts. Of particular interest is research on the adaptation of cereal crops to extreme climates.
The Responsibilities Include:
- Leading the development and application of genomics for use in ICRISAT’s global dryland cereal crop improvement research programs.
- Conducting relevant research in the development and use of genomic tools for gene identification, genome mapping and marker-assisted breeding in one or more of ICRISAT’s dryland cereal crops.
- Developing linkages and collaborative research projects with advanced research organizations, national agricultural research systems, universities and the private sector.
- Undertaking capacity building initiatives for stakeholders including policy makers to enhance the impact of genomics in rain-fed agriculture.
- Playing an active role in resource mobilization for ICRISAT.
- PhD degree in Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Plant Biology, Plant Breeding, Genetics or other related field.
- At least 10 years of post-doctoral research experience in plant breeding, molecular genetics, genomics, molecular biology or marker-assisted breeding.
- A record of achievement with academic publications, development and management of research grants, and capacity building initiatives.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is essential, and knowledge of French will be an advantage.
The Reward: This is an internationally recruited staff position with an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package payable in US dollars. The position is initially for three years, and extendable depending on performance of the incumbent and funding availability. An attractive compensation will be offered for the right candidate.
How to apply: Applicants should apply on or before 31 August 2012 by email to: eval(unescape('%64%6f%63%75%6d%65%6e%74%2e%77%72%69%74%65%28%27%3c%61%20%68%72%65%66%3d%22%6d%61%69%6c%74%6f%3a%49%43%52%49%53%41%54%6a%6f%62%73%40%63%67%69%61%72%2e%6f%72%67%22%3e%49%43%52%49%53%41%54%6a%6f%62%73%40%63%67%69%61%72%2e%6f%72%67%3c%2f%61%3e%27%29%3b')), with a letter of motivation, latest Curriculum Vitae, and names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. The reference name of the position (Principal Scientist-Applied Cereals Genomics) should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the email. Screening of applications will begin in September 2012 and will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged, however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 31 August 2012