Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter -- technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning's Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
· Related to business in fusion glass forming
· Developing new technology and processes leveraging fundamental understanding of underlying principles
· Technology delivery to Manufacturing leveraging Research, Development and Engineering organizations
· Technology Leader and Subject Matter Expert
Day to Day Responsibilities:
· Leading and supporting process technology development projects in S&T and on CGT manufacturing units
· Use defined processes and scientific methods. Utilize risk management tools
· Critical problem solving
· Design and execute experiment in a manufacturing plant; analyzing data and drawing conclusions
· Managing to Milestones
· Collaborate with others process experts in and outside the organizations
· Participate on cross functional teams
· Communicating progress to Stake Holders
· Document results
Travel Requirements: As much 30% domestic and international travel
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Core hours / Travel and periodic evening conference calls
· B.S. degree in technical/engineering (chemical, material science, mechanical) field;
· M.S. degree in similar discipline strongly encouraged.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 3-5 years work experience preferred
· Knowledge of glass manufacturing systems,
· Applied thermal, mechanical, fluid flow, mass transport, or materials engineering
· Able to break down complex problems and set clear direction
· Effective communications up the organization
· Developing new technology and integrate it into manufacturing
· Articulating a plan and gaining consensus with stake holders, and teams
· Able to lead process developments in MFG
· Conducting and analyzing process experiments using first principles.
· Experience in sheet forming processes
· Running or leveraging numerical simulations
· Ability to work effectively on multiple projects simultaneously
· Interest and/or experience in technology and process development
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
· Result driven
· Uses an analytical, engaging thought process
· Technically curious
· Ability to work within a team environment
· Ability to work interactively on cross functional teams with a strong tie to Development, Engineering and Manufacturing.
· Able to identify long term needs/goals and determine short term objectives to achieve
· Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
Corning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Apply online at:
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;