Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation. We are committed to meeting customers’ unique and changing needs with original solutions for today’s emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world’s most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements.
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/life_sciences.aspx
Purpose of Position:
The Project Manager leads critical strategic projects to support the CLS Division Manufacturing and New Products Strategy. These can include projects to optimize the CLS manufacturing in key global regions, establish cost leadership, understanding CLS competitive position, and developing and launching new products. The individual in this role may also be called upon to help drive consistency in practices across the division’s manufacturing plants leveraging PEx tools, in areas such as cost management, quality, safety, or service. Additionally, this position can also be required to utilize Innovation / Stage Gate process or the CLS RAPID Process for new products. Projects will typically have significant financial and strategic impact on the division and require leadership that is consistent with Corning’s values.
• Assist in implementation of the division manufacturing strategies and initiatives.
• Effectively manage multiple and broad ranges of projects that support the division manufacturing and new products strategies, which meet division objectives.
• Thoroughly understand the nature of the business requirement for each project, and recommend important strategic decisions to define the overall project deliverables.
• Organize the projects by defining scope and objectives, securing needed resources, and establishing the project governance structure.
• Develop and manage project budgets and schedules.
• Lead the development, submittal and approval of project planning and funding through development of the project Appropriation Request (AR).
• For individual projects, establish roles, responsibilities and competencies required for the project. Build an effective project team. Establish receivership requirements for project.
Lead all aspects of project management from Initiation. Planning, Implementation & Control and Closure including key areas of:
• Regular project meetings
• Develop project plans through facilitation of teams, SME’s and stakeholders
• Form, lead and coach project teams and members
• Executing required tasks hands-on, when required
• Project updates to key stakeholders
• Forecasting Capital and Expense Spending
• Managing resources and priorities
• Ensure that the highest level of project safety standards are practiced and met. This includes all internal (Corning) and external (Contractors and Engineering consultants).
• Practice adaptive management style to effectively manage projects in global operating arena, effectively working with different cultures on international assignments.
• Contributing to the advancement of Project Management Competency within CLS through benchmark sharing, training and supporting development of other Project Managers in CLS.
Performance Metrics: Overall success in advancing projects that support the division strategy.
For specific projects, the following measures of project success:
• Financial objectives as defined by AR / Project Charter / Stage Contract
• Schedule Objectives
• Stakeholder and 360 feedback
• Quality and Performance measures as define in project charters:
• Cost reduction targets
• Yield improvement
• Service improvement
• Safety objectives
• Establish process capability for new processes
• Hit unit cost targets for new products
• Meeting specifications for new products
Leadership Competencies (Knowledge, skills and behaviors):
• Building effective teams
• Cross cultural sensitivity
• Integrity and trust
• Motivating others
• Customer focus
• Dealing with Ambiguity
• Drive for results
• Organizing and planning
• Communicate and Engage
• Demonstrate Drive and Commitment
• Pursue and Apply Learning’s
Travel Requirements: Maximum of 50% with some international travel.
Experience and Education:
• B.S. in Engineering or B.S. technical degree; MS or MBA desired.
• Formal Project Management Training. Desired - Project Management Certification.
• Experience with Global Manufacturing through experience and project work.
• Experience with new product project management using Innovation / Stage Gate processes.
• Ability to effectively manage a high degree of change and ambiguity. Ability to utilize influence versus control. Can manage in the “gray” areas.
• Ability to complete basic financial analysis of projects, including estimates of project cost, return on investment, and payback. Must be able to understand and anticipate costs, and work across functions to generate accurate estimates. Ability to think through the financial ramifications of decisions.
• Utilizes sound and rational problem solving and decision making processes. Proficient in quality tools including KT, Performance Excellence, and Project Management tools.
• Proficient in basic information technology tools including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Project.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills across all levels of the organization. Must be an effective communicator, and able to deliver messages through presentations, written and verbal communication.
• Conflict management; seeks win-win solutions. Resolves problems vs. escalating.
Self-motivated and self-sufficient to:
• Call meetings with project team, SME’s, key stakeholders or management
• Facilitate meetings to achieve consensus between functional groups and with stakeholders and management
• Proactively address barriers or issues working with any level or function in the organization
• Require minimal oversight from stakeholders or supervisor to achieve project results