Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
With more than 160 years of science and engineering knowledge, Corning Incorporated creates keystone components for high-technology systems in consumer electronics, mobile emissions control and life sciences. Our Optical Communications segment delivers connectivity to every edge of the network, from optical fiber, cable, hardware and equipment to fully-optimized optical solutions.
What we do is life changing. Our innovations help customers keep pace with the world’s insatiable demand for bandwidth, accelerating the delivery of information and keeping the world connected to the important people, places and things that enhance our lives.
To know more about Corning Optical Communications, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/cablesystems
Scope of Position:
Support the plant through the timely procurement of quality materials in support of the manufacturing plan. Execute procurement strategies that Assure Supply and Optimize Total Cost of Ownership for the Plant.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Responsible for tactical procurement execution for assigned material, equipment and services. Duties include communication to supplier, submission of POs, monitoring of deliveries, expediting materials and resolving billing discrepancies as needed.
• Submits requests for new vendor setup in the system.
• Works with Strategic Procurement, Operations and the Business Teams to execute the Key Commodity Strategies.
• Ensures compliance to the Global Buying Policy.
• Manages relationships with supplier customer service representatives.
• Assumes responsibility for smaller commodity spend and procurements projects.
• Analyzes plans and determines proper material requirements using MRP and Logility tools.
• Manages inventory levels and inventory turns. Tracks and reports for all assigned items to ensure goals are being met.
• Generates and communicates volume forecast to suppliers as required while understanding supplier constraints and capacity levers.
• Supports salvage and recycling programs of all assigned materials and scrap reduction efforts in coordination with production and engineering.
• Works with Logistics, Operations and Transportation Groups to ensure that material deliveries are optimized (time, quality and cost).
• Primary point of contact on vendor relations necessary to supply the plant effectively and efficiently.
• Supports supplier quality audits and supplier meetings.
• Collects, analyzes and summarizes supply management performance metrics against objectives including quality, cost, on-time delivery and lead-time. Communicates results and works with suppliers to drive continuous improvement.
• Works with Quality, Warehouse and Product Engineering to ensure proper disposition of rejected materials.
• 5-10% travel.
• Trips to Corning locations and supplier sites for site audits, quality resolution, price negotiations, supplier business reviews, supplier development or project coordination.
• Travel may also be associated with training and development.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm
• Bachelor's Degree in Supply Chain, Business and min of 1 year Supply Chain or Procurement experience
• Strong analytical abilities with attention to detail
• Demonstrated decision making and problem solving skills
• Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal, throughout all internal levels of the organization and externally
• High degree of initiative and motivation with ability to work in a matrix environment or within a cross functional team
• Proven organizational and time management skills
• Computer skills, including MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Education, training or certification (CPIM, CSCP, etc.) in a supply chain function
• Knowledge and understanding of Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) and Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems. SAP knowledge a plus.
• Negotiation, purchasing or commodity experience
• Project management experience
• The candidate is open to relocation for future opportunities
• Results oriented, self-motivated
• Customer focus: able to gather and understand customer requirements and objectives
• Effective team player
• Able to be persuasive in negotiations, as required
• Conflict management
• Time management
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.