Purpose of the Position:
• Design, develop, improve and industrialize Optical Fiber manufacturing platforms (platform = process + equipment) for revolutionary manufacturing processes, thereby enabling step-change reductions in manufacturing cost and/or enabling new products with advantaged attributes.
• Drive for root-cause fundamental understanding of limitations in manufacturing processes. Use scientific method and engineering principles to solve problems thoroughly and effectively, using well-designed and executed process experiments.
• Translate understanding and experimental solutions to engineering requirements, then further to process and/or equipment designs which deliver performance criteria.
• Work is typically completed as a member of a technology development team chartered with improving one or more of the following: manufacturing yields (selections), process rate, machine utilization, product quality, new product quality, environmental compliance, raw material yield, and/or energy usage.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Learn & understand process & equipment functions in area of responsibility.
• Design, develop, and industrialize manufacturing platforms (platform = process + equipment) for revolutionary manufacturing processes. Re-design machine/process systems or sub-systems to solve safety, performance, or quality issues, or reduce either the as-installed or long-term operational costs.
• Provide troubleshooting support to the prototype platform during development and demonstration phase.
• Travel will be required to Corning Optical Fiber and Cable Manufacturing sites in North Carolina (Concord, Winston-Salem, and Hickory) and overseas sites in India, China, and Europe. Typical travel can range from a few days to a few weeks during the project initiation phase. During the deployment phase of the project, travel is nearly full-time. Deployment phases typically range from 3-9 months, but can extend to 1+ year.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• Standard work hours are M-F 8:00-5:00, however, overtime or shifted work hours is not uncommon and is indeed expected at times. The amount and duration will vary as a function of the job position, particular project, and point in the project life cycle.
Education & Experience:
• B.S. Chemical, BS Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or Ceramic Engineering degree with 5+ years manufacturing experience working with process and automation equipment Or M.S. Chemical or Materials Science or Ceramic Engineering Degree with manufacturing intern/co-op experience.
• Familiar with process piping system design, including P&IDs.
• Project management experience, including developing project scope, budgets and schedules.
• Knowledge of regulations applicable to area of expertise and works to ensure compliance (OSHA, etc.). Incorporates safety and risk analysis into equipment designs.
• Equipment design background utilizing Autodesk Inventor or other 3D modeling tools; familiar with general drafting standards.
• Display a bias for action in situations of uncertainty, with pro-active attention to issues and problems.
• Use scientific method and engineering principles to solve problems thoroughly and effectively, using well-designed and executed process experiments.
• Drive for root cause fundamental understanding of challenging problems.
• Ability to translate engineering solutions to requirements, then further to process and/or equipment designs which deliver all required and promised performance criteria.
• Effectively use relevant measured and/or modeled data to drive decisions and actions.
• Determine and recommend best solution from a series of alternatives within given guidelines.
• Thoroughly carry assignments to completion.
• Communicate effectively in various settings to provide and present necessary information to Project, Department, and Site leaders.
• Work well both within a multi-disciplined team, and independently with minimal oversight.
• Experience with process modeling simulation software (e.g., Aspen, Matlab) and/or mechanical design software (Solid Works, Autodesk Inventor) and/or Microsoft Product suite.
• Six Sigma Greenbelt or Black belt certification.
• Knowledge of manufacturing cost accounting.
• Project management experience.
• Ability to work within a team and provide training to others.
• Ability to allocate/supervise resources to accomplish goals.