Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Specialty Materials is a leader in providing high performance materials and process capabilities of strategic necessity for targeted customers and the markets they serve -- semiconductors, lighting products and industrial materials.
Corning is a leading supplier of technologically advanced materials and customer-driven solutions for the ophthalmic industry and selected optics markets. Leveraging our revolutionary invention of glass photochromic eyeglass lens materials in the 1960s, we have expanded our product offering to include one of the world’s most technologically advanced plastic photochromic lenses.
Corning Semiconductor Optics is a leading world-class supplier of optical materials, high performance precision optics, optical-based metrology instruments and technical microlithography solutions for the semiconductor industry. Our core technical expertise lies in fused silica and fluoride crystals, materials and processing, optical-based metrology instrumentation, and high performance optics through Corning Tropel.
To know more about Corning's Specialty Materials Division, please visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/other_products/specialty_materials.aspx
• Summer engineering intern position to support the manufacturing and engineering of world class high Precision optical systems. This is a dynamic position for an individual to work as part of Corning Advanced Optics’ optical design team to model, tolerance and analyze complex optical systems from concept to completion. Primary duties will encompass developing optical simulation and analysis tools to aid in understanding optical performance of lens systems between hardware laboratory measurements and theoretical design. Person may also engage in assessing new lens opportunities for performance and manufacturing build strategies.
• Be in at least their Junior Year pursuing a Bachelor's degree or pursuing a Master's Degree in Optics or Physics
• Coursework in geometrical optics, physical optics, aberration theory and interferometry.
• Strong organizational skills and detail oriented.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Working knowledge of analysis tools such as Mathematical, Mathcad, visual basic programming and spreadsheets.
• Experience with major optical design software desired (CodeV, Zemax, Lightools, ASAP,)
• US citizenship or valid green card.