Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position: Industrial Engineer in Manufacturing Systems Engineering COE within MTE
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Maintains knowledge of and expertise in the latest developments in the areas of business analysis systems and technologies; defines their applicability to Corning; develops and applies these systems and technologies through successful projects
• Develops and executes project plans; determines requirements, deliverables, resources, timing/milestones, and risks
• With only general guidelines, reviews alternative solutions to problems and prepares economic comparisons; recommends to management plans of action after considering intangibles and economic factors; and proposes plans, coordinates and controls the implementation of major projects
• Identifies areas of potential manufacturing related productivity improvement; generates ideas for, formulates, and recommends systems, programs and projects
• Communicates ideas and project status clearly and professionally through graphic and written media, and oral presentations. Provides necessary documentation of activities, results, assignments.
• Performs cost studies, economic comparisons and justification analysis; evaluates systems, methods, human factors, work flow, and other opportunities for productivity improvement
• Identifies objectives for additional projects within the Corporation
• Coordinates the efforts of project teams; provides project team facilitation and leadership
• Responsible for the accuracy of work performed; takes a proactive approach to ensure quality of work
• Serves as a technical coach for peers/customers as required
Required Education: BS in Industrial Engineering field of study
Required Years and Area of Experience: 5-10 years of related experience
• Working knowledge of: Lean Manufacturing concepts and principles, cycle time reduction, cost analysis, cost modeling, manufacturing/business processes, Value Stream Mapping, line balance/staffing, work cell design
• Effective, high quality oral and written communication skills. Able to sell your ideas/concepts to Senior Management
• Experience in Lean transformation of a business and/or manufacturing processes
• Conviction and passion for the discipline
• Self-motivated, independent, flexible, quick learner
• Excellent computer skills (working knowledge and application of Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, etc.)
• Customer oriented; meet customer needs with quality results
• Ability to build effective working relationships with others across the company
• Able to manage multiple priorities successfully
• Contribution to the development of function as well as other associates
• Strong technical and organization skills
• Utilizing Lean tools in support of new product development projects and their transfer into manufacturing environment
• Manufacturing experience
• Knowledge of basic inventory management techniques, planning systems/scheduling systems, supply chain management
• Knowledge of (Lean) organizational design
• Knowledge of design for manufacturability/assembly concepts, product life cycle management concepts, performance/line measures, procurement systems
• International working experience a plus
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Excellent verbal & written skills
• Desire to work in a team based environment
• Ability to coach/develop others
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled.