Are you interested in “Life Changing Innovation”? As with Thomas Edison, we have a history of working with the world’s greatest innovators. We solve our customers’ most complex problems that others can’t or won’t. Collaboration, Innovative Spirit and Career Development are just a few of the reasons world class professionals choose Corning Incorporated for a career. We are headquartered in Corning - a vibrant city in Upstate, NY where residents enjoy the benefits of a rich arts and culture scene, one of the world’s fastest-growing wine regions and a family friendly area with affordable homes and quality education.
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation.
We are committed to meeting customers’ unique and changing needs with original solutions for today’s emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world’s most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements.
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/life_sciences.aspx
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Provide technical direction in the specification, development, installation and testing of manufacturing equipment and automation systems.
• Create project plans (scope, schedule, cost estimates, project acceptance criteria, etc.) for assigned area of responsibility.
• Establish receivership requirements during projects of technology transfers.
• Lead capital spending projects as assigned.
• Manage schedule and resource conflicts.
• Maintain and develop software capability connectivity to all equipment in the plant, and follow any IT existing regulations regarding software to use, backups, etc.
• Understand customer equipment and capacity needs ensuring their expectations are being met.
• Coach and mentor engineering and production personnel as appropriate to build and leverage skill sets.
• Develop short and long term equipment strategies to achieve process production, quality, safety and financial goals.
• Execute the short and long term Measurement & Control engineering strategies.
• Drive alignment of controls engineering, resources and standardization.
• Interface with and support Research & Development and Division Engineering on new product introductions, process enhancements, raw material changes, and equipment design modifications.
• Ensure all automation engineering related activities are conducted in accordance with established design and process control procedures.
• Be an advocate and role model for safety within their area of responsibility. Ensure all work is performed in a safe manner and environment. Responsible for his/her safety, as well as that of others that may be at the facility, whether working or visiting. Responsible for observing safe work practices and being proactive for reporting any unsafe conditions.
• Utilize Lean manufacturing principles to reduce manufacturing costs.
• Documenting SOP, SOS, experiment planning, and process changes.
• Support manufacturing on multiple shift schedules in a fast paced production environment.
• Actively participate in project meetings and document key issues, action items and decisions.
• Effectively participate in all phases of project methodologies to include appropriate initiation, planning, implementation and control, and close-out elements.
• Share expertise and knowledge to foster continuous improvement of the organization (project team or functional unit).
• Drive performance and cost trough automation.
Projects involved with:
• Relocations, modifications & alterations of manufacturing processes.
• Key process engineering projects
• Performance Excellence (DMAIC) and Manufacturing Engineering Excellence (MEE) projects
• Reducing defects by eliminating root causes
• Ensuring that the measurement and inspection of a product meets the customer’s needs
• Using first principles knowledge to improve processes
• Improving manufacturing uptime, yields, cycle time, safety and other PEx metrics
• Evaluating new raw materials, new equipment, or new process technologies
Travel: 10% with some international.
• Degree: BS/MS Engineering (Electronic and/or Electric)
• Required Years of Experience: 4 years in engineering (new automation systems design, PLC’s programming, instrumentation, process development, and systems integration).
• Knowledge of manufacturing methods, systems, production processes, and controls systems is required.
• Knowledge of programming languages related to automation equipment & PLC connectivity.
• Demonstrated delivery of results through project and organizational leadership.
• Demonstrated track record of performance results and people development.
• Demonstrated track record of engineering/technical accomplishment.
• Excellent inter-personal and communication skills (written and verbal) required.
• Project Management skills.
• Knowledge of Corning’s businesses
• Prior experience in a plant or division engineering group
• Strong internal Corning network
• Performance Excellence training – green belt or higher certification
• Project Management training
• LEAN manufacturing training
• New product introduction experience
• Able to motivate and develop people
• Negotiation skills
• Team player
EOE/AA including Veterans and Disabled