Nature Publishing Group is seeking to appoint an Editorial Assistant to manage the processing of manuscripts from submission to acceptance as well as supporting the standardization of workflows, improved efficiencies, data collection and to support authors, editors and reviewers. The position is based in our New York office and reports to the Editorial Administration Manager.
This is an administrative position which would be ideal for an individual with some office experience wishing to start an administrative career in a publishing environment. The main responsibilities of the role include:
•Checking our manuscript tracking system for revisions, pre-submission inquiries and new submissions.
•Perform quality checks on submissions for adherence to submission requirements and compliance with publication policies – communicating with authors where necessary by phone and email.
•Ensuring accepted manuscript files comply with Production requirements and chasing authors for any missing material where necessary
•Checking NPG legal forms are included and stored correctly
•Ensuring that database records are updated and that manuscript submissions are uploaded correctly into the online submissions system
•Providing general administrative assistance to the manuscript editors
•Assisting/covering for colleagues when required
•Liaising with the production and press departments
The successful applicant will have a 4 year Bachelor’s Degree and will be adept at using Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel. Previous use of a database is also desirable.
The successful applicant will also possess the following qualities:
• Ability to work to a specified list of priorities with speed and accuracy
• Flexibility and ability to work as a team member
• Strong written communication skills, including accurate spelling and grammar
• Professional and courteous telephone manner
• Attention to detail; ability to follow instructions and adhere carefully to established procedures
• Ability to organise and juggle a varied workload under pressure and to work quickly and efficiently without constant supervision
• Capacity to make thoughtful decisions and use initiative
• Punctuality and reliability
• A positive attitude in the workplace and a willingness to co-operate with colleagues
To apply: Please complete the application below and submit a resume and a cover letter in one document that includes salary requirements explaining your interest in the position.
•Please note that our system only allows a single file upload. If you cannot create a single document to include all of the requirements for posting, please reply to the thank you message you will receive at the conclusion of your application with any additional details.
Closing Date: January 9th, 2015
Nature Publishing Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To learn more about Nature Publishing Group, please visit our web site at www.nature.com
Opening For Editorial Assistant : New York