Assistant Editor – Genome Medicine (Ref:BMC/AE/MH)
Company and Position Overview
BioMed Central is the leading open access publisher of STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) research. Since it was founded in 2000, BioMed Central has successfully pioneered the open access publishing model and brought it to the mainstream. With offices in London, North America and Asia, the company employs over 280 people across a range of operations including editorial, production, IT and business. BioMed Central is a vibrant and innovative company. It operates in a fast-paced and high-energy environment, hiring talented people who are passionate about science, technology, medicine and open access.
BioMed Central are looking for an Assistant Editor to join the expanding Genome Medicine editorial team. Genome Medicine publishes peer-reviewed open access original research articles, as well as reviews and other commissioned content, in all areas of medicine studied from a post-genomic perspective. The Assistant Editor will work together with the Genome Medicine team on all content-related aspects of the journal. This includes in-house editorial decisions on research manuscripts, identifying appropriate peer reviewers and managing the peer review process on manuscripts, commissioning value-added review content and general journal advocacy.
• Assessing the scientific content of research manuscripts and their suitability for the journal in terms of scope and interest level.
• Identifying suitable experts in a wide range of subject areas who can act as peer reviewers
• Making decisions on publication on the basis of referees’ recommendations.
• Monitoring peer review times for manuscripts so as to ensure a fast submission-to-decision process.
• Communicating with authors, referees and editorial board members – by email, over the phone, and in person.
• Keeping databases and systems up-to-date so as to allow communication within the team.
• Identifying suitable topics and authors for commissioned content.
• Conference attendance – advocacy, soliciting manuscripts, etc.
• Liaison with other internal teams – Marketing, Editorial Production, etc.
• Internal meeting attendance and minute taking.
• A MD or PhD in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Broad interest in relevant areas of genomics and medicine
• Highly detail orientated
• Prior experience of peer reviewed publishing would be beneficial, but is not necessary as we provide training
Please send your CV and covering letter, stating salary expectations and quoting the job reference (BMC/AE/MH) to: HR, BioMed Central Ltd, Floor 6, 236 Gray’s Inn Road, London, WC1X 8HB, or by email to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
BioMed Central Limited is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of race, gender, age, religion or belief, relationship status, pregnancy/maternity, sexual orientation or disability.
BioMed Central offers a competitive salary and benefits package including 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, contributory pension scheme, life assurance, discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, Give As You Earn Scheme, Volunteering scheme and an employee support programme.