This job is for " Corning Company "
Corning is looking for " Process Engineer/R&D Scientist "
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
• Using first principle knowledge to design manufacturing processes for new businesses or enable a new material.
• Processes that improve capital efficiency.
• Projects could support any Corning division or new business.
• All work will be done as part of a cross functional team usually involving other groups in Research, Engineering, or Development.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Lead the design and development of new manufacturing processes or significant capability improvement of existing manufacturing processes.
• Conceive/Investigate manufacturing process alternatives and down select based on the technical fundamentals, performance and manufacturing cost criteria.
• Solve problems and demonstrate feasibility using theoretical, empirical and modeling approaches.
• Analyze process data using statistical tools.
• Measure and communicate project performance against established objectives.
• Generate intellectual property as appropriate.
• Average 25% or less (project dependent)
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• May require more than 40 hours per week.
• BS, MS, or PhD in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering / Materials. Advanced degree preferred.
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 7+ years
• Creative/innovative problem solving.
• Strong technical fundamentals with process research/engineering skills.
• Able to collaborate across organizational boundaries and integrate solutions.
• Results oriented and high commitment (able to work in Research / Development and handle risk of failure).
• Project leadership.
• Knowledge of Modeling capability and how to leverage modeling tools.
• Ability to do external technology investigations.
• Some mechanical aptitude/equipment understanding.
• Ability for situation assessment and strong problem definition.
• Interpersonal skills – engaging, enabling, open.
• Communication skills (written & oral).
• Broad network across the technology community.