ABI 3500 experience

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
ethz
ethz's picture
ABI 3500 experience

Hi everyone,

I am looking for other labs running an AB3500. There are not many users out there, at least based on a search through this and other forums.

I have a few operating questions that could probably be answered by someone with some experience.

First question is how long you can use the polymer after the "7 days on machine" warning. Second is how long for the array? We are presently at 200 injections with the array with no reduction in quality.

Most of my questions can not be answered by the telephone support operators at AB, who know next to nothing of the 3500 -- one operator had never even seen one!

Thanks in advance

ethz

Destrak
Destrak's picture
Hi ethz,

Hi ethz,

I've been running an AB3500 for a few months now (and older AB's for a few years), and can tell you that the arrays can go on for 1000 to 1500 (our record is +/- 2400) injections. This was an array on an older machine but I think the arrays wont differ that much. Our 3500 is now also in the 200 injections. Just monitor the quality of your samples. The POP can be on the machine for a few weeks. We use it untill it is all consumed and don't pay attention to the date.
Hope this helped.

Destrak

ethz
ethz's picture
Hi Destrak,

Hi Destrak,
Many thanks for your advice. We are also up to 200 runs on the array, and will continue to ignore the red "days on machine" numbers for POP. By the way, we are running a 1/12 BD1.1 reaction with POP7 with very good results. The factory defaults and AB Tech Support recommend BD1.1 only with POP6, but it runs very well in POP7 on the 3500. And we have better results at 1/12 than with BD3.1.
ethz

rasmusro
rasmusro's picture
Hi ethz and Destrak,

Hi ethz and Destrak,
I just recently started using an ABI 3500 as well and want to continue using the polymer after the 7 days on machine.  Have you found a time point at which your results begin to be affected by leaving the polymer on for too long?  Is there anything specific to look for in the results to tell that the polymer is bad?
Thanks,
rasmusro

Biju
Biju's picture
Hi All

Hi All
I have used polymer beyond  the time recommended by  ABI. The decision to change polymer was based on the quality of the data especially the background,  sequence length obtained (total length and readable clean sequence) compared to  a well run sample before.
Hope this helps.
Biju

Fabiola_Costa Rica
Fabiola_Costa Rica's picture
Hi,

Hi,

We recently bought an ABI 3500 and we are having some problems when we use it with PP16HS, specifically with the ILS sizing.
I am looking for someone who has already used that ABI with that kit and can help us.
Thanks,
             Fabiola