Just last week I tried to do a small pilot study.
I am trying to do the Histology of the Psoas major Muscle (Pig).
Years ago I did a lot of histology and used for the Dehydration protocol Xlene as the final stage before the Parffinization.
As all of us know Xlene is a very toxic and carcinogenic chemical. Knowing this I found couple of Xelen substitues: Slide Brite and Neo-clear.
I used both and found out that they dont work as good as the Xlene. After Embedding in paraffin I tried to cut the sections 10um ( small pieces of muscle). The muscle was like powder. I just could not cut it.
After speaking with couple of people from labs around Canada I found out that this is a known fact. All the substitutes are working very very very slow. Better to use them at the Deparaffininzation stage, after the slices are already cut.
So Just to let all of you :
Use Xlene at the Dehydration stage.
Xlene Vs. Xlene substitutes